If you want to try League of Legends or start a new account, sign up here:
There are 4 different kind of runes. Marks, Seals, Glyphs and Quintessences.
1. Marks = red (offensive)
2. Seals = yellow (defensive)
3. Glyphs = blue (utility)
4. Quintessences = purple (everything)
Every rune in your runebook has a color, and a border-color. If the border-color matches the color of the rune, it is a primary rune. If it doesn't, it is a secondary rune. You should always try to use primary runes, since they are the best.
Let's take 'attack speed glyphs' as an example. Attack speed is offensive. This means that every attack speed rune will have a red (offensive) border color. Attack speed glyphs are blue. This means it is a secondary rune (Blue rune with a red color).
Runes are very expensive. You can buy 'standard runes' like HP Quintessences, which are usefull on every character. This will save you a lot of IP. But if you are willing to spend lots of IP on runes, like me, you will be rewarded.
League of Legends gives you 2 or 3 standard rune pages (depending on how long you already play League of Legends). You can buy new rune pages in the 'bundle' section in the shop. It's 2600 RP for a 7 rune page bundle.
My rune pages:
1. 0:20 AD only: Sivir, Lee Sin, Riven. Lee Sin and Riven both have a skill scaling on AD. I use this rune page for Sivir aswell, for easy harrassing at start.
2. 0:40 AD carry: I use this rune page for all AD carries, except for ezreal and corki. It gives me armor pen (= high dmg output late-game), some physical damage (= easier last hitting), and sustain.
3. 0:58 AD mana: Ezreal and Corki. I use this for ezreal and corki because they are very mana-based.
4. 1:16 AD jungle: lots of attack speed, some armor pen, armor and movement speed. This might seem weirs, but movement speed is actually pretty good (easier ganks, faster jungle).
5. 1:36 AP/lvl: I use this rune page for every AP champion that has no mana. I prefer AP/lvl. In my opinion, it's better than non-scaling AP runes, certainly if you buy a Rabadon's deathcap.
6. 1:52 AP magic resist: If you want some sustain when laning mid, against an other mage.
7. 2:09 AP defensive: I don't really use this rune page that often, but it really depends on your playstyle. If you are agressive, it can be usefull.
8. 2:24 AP jungle: The only champion I use this rune page for, is Fiddlesticks.
9. 2:40 Last pick gg: I use this rune page for every support. Lots of armor because you'll face their AD carry. Magic resist/level (you'll need it more late-game).
10. 3:01 TANK mage: A Singed rune page. Movement speed is a must here (Singed's playstyle is based on movement speed).
11. 3:02 TANK armor: If you consider playing a tank solo top. I don't really use this rune page.
12. 3:31 TANK jungle: gold/10 Quintessences are really helpful.
13. 3:48 Rumble: I take non-scaling AD runes on Rumble. This will help at the beginning, for tons of damage output.
14. 4:05 Shaco: Cooldown Reduction is really helpful for shaco.
15. 4:23 Ryze: I still have to buy these runes. But i'm going for: mana/lvl seals and glypsh, flat mana Quintessences.
16. 4:30 Fish fish fish: My fizz rune page. I still need the Health/regen runes though.
17. If you want to know a rune page for a specific champion, ask ahead.
Thanks for watching.